Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Don't forget why we buy HiFi?

To work with LINN HiFi is sometimes very special!



I know why I bought my LINN HiFi & it was not particularly because I care about electronics ... actually I don't care about electronics at all, if I did I would make my own!

I bought my LINN HiFi simply to enjoy music, because music enhances my life and to date LINN delivers exactly what I want ... I become involved in what I listen to, in the music, in the lyrics .. in the emotion! I recognise the song or the artist in just a few seconds because what LINN deliver is an honest representation .. you get what's on the CD, File or vinyl and only that! I feel inspired to sell LINN because it delivers music to people in a great way and I want more people to experience what I experience ... simple!

I recently listened to a Krell system with reference Din-audio speakers, a CD player costing around 20/30,000 Euro and cables which not only lit up but you could probably tow a container ship with. On top of that the room was covered in bas traps, strange materials on the roof, the speakers were focussed for a ''sweet-spot''! Almost scary to turn the thing on ... was it going to transport my to another planet?

First impression was 'wal', airy sound, huge sound stage, clean and very dramatic but who was playing? 30 seconds into the song and I realised it was Lennart Cohen ... I mean 30 seconds ... that's an eternity and for one of the most distinct voices in the music industry! My conclusion ..

1M Sek, a ruined home that looks like a lab & your favourite artist is hard to recognise! Madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I had a visit from a ''guru''! He declared immediately that he had helped 'Anders' (Tonläget) make LINN Katan sound more ''LINN than LINN'' by changing the crossover. I should at this stage fall on my knees and hail this amazing Guru whom helped LINN be more LINN but I thought ''here we go''! His friend with him didn't understand HiFi so he would, with our rooms, demonstrate what you should look out for ... explain high end hifi for someone that didn't understand!

Request: ''I need a song that challenges the speakers, some Jazz maybe''
My reply: ''Claire Martin played here last week in our shop, she was fantastic & we recorded it, do you want to start with listening to it then to her own studio CD?''
Reply: ''No I need a real recording/music''
Action from me: Claire Martin studio album it is then (bit boring I thought but there we go, immediately no interest in music). He talked with his friend and I worked away then swapped to Katie Malua ... Response : ''that is awful, those speakers'' are playing really badly''

Martin: Shall we move to the Akurate system room? A new song!
Gura: ''Yes, that's much better but the bas is too low''
Martin: Have you heard this music before ,,, how much bas should there be on that song?
Guru: ''No but there should be more than that ... LINN reduce the bas on their speakers''
Guru: ''The first Klimax system needs fixing/better -placement ... I'm just giving you advice!''
Martin: ''Please help and place the speakers as you will, there is even some fine adjustment on the back of the speakers you can use''.
Guru: ''Yes I'll do that, how many DB's does the adjustment do?
Martin: ''I have no idea, I just adjust and listen until I reach an optimum''
Gura: ''Ha ha, you have to know this if you work with these products''
Martin: ''No I don't, it's just to listen, I can imagine it's probably 1 or two DB's and just three placements on each, trebble, mid, bas''
Guru: ''Ha ha, I work in 0,001's of DB's''
Martin: ''Help me god, release my pain ... please'' I never said this loud! I'll adjust and you listen so you can say when it's better! I move the adjustment 1 click and back one click to the same position ;)! Bit cheeky!
Gura: That's better! I'll adjust the speakers as well!
Guru adjusts the position of the speakers placing them much closer to the wall ... ''yes you can listen now, this is much better''
I sit down and listen ... he has maxed the bas and minimal on the mid & treble. IT IS TRULY AWFUL ... I raise the volume and ask if he can follow any notes on the bas or can follow the melody''
Guru: ''Yes I agree it's worse, these speakers don't work in this room''
Martin: ''Ok but you said you had tuned in them .... Hmnnn OK, what should I use?''
Gura: ''I think some small ''on-the-wall-speakers'' would be good here''
Martin: My room is almost 90 m2 ,,, Hmnnn!!! I never said that!
Guru: ''I make on wall speakers, I'll come by and demonstrate them to you''

There was no mention about music at all ... nothing about melody, emotion ... artists ... He asked for Jazz but hadn't listened to 'Monica Zetterlund & Bill Evans' before & immediately asked to swap track when I started to play it. One of my favourite Jazz albums! There was allot of chat about frequencies and only about speakers ,,, he (tuned in my speakers) placed the speakers as close to the wall as physically possible & it was really awful (Hmnn he sells on wall speakers) ones that you can hear 0,001's of DB's with on each frequency! No consideration to room acoustics, volume of the room ... this was just a bad system ... a BAD LINN KLIMAX SYSTEM! Yes our largest room is not optimal but it's pretty nice and you can absolutely enjoy music at the highest level, connect with the melody and artist! I'm enjoying it as I write!

I did ask ''how many DB's does the super tweeter need adjusted'' but this just was getting cheeky by that point so retracted the question!

Please don't forget why you want a great HiFi ... MUSIC!!!!! If you are not listenning to the music your are not judging performance!

Please bring any system to our shop and if anything plays music better than our LINN systems I recommend you buy it! Don't ask me what frequencies the Majik 109's go down to or how many watts or ohms or anything else as I am deliberately de-educating myself from that approach! It's of no interest ... of no relevance and not why you should buy an expensive HiFi ... again, please just listen to the music when comparing systems ... that's what matters!

I'm listening to Eva Cassidy, Wade in the water! Children wading the water ... creates images in my head ... hurts a bit ... images of deep south USA, light ... religion .. new Orleans even a little blues ... it's an emotional performance ... all credit to Eva Cassidy

I haven't really thought through the lyrics so much but that's what I get when I listen ... I checked it out on Wikipedia:

The main chorus is:

Wade in the water.
Wade in the water children.
Wade in the water.
God's gonna trouble the water.

The song relates to both the Old and New Testaments. The verses reflect the Israelites escape out of Egypt as found in Exodus:14.[1] The chorus refers to healing: see John 5:4, "For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had."

Many internet sources and popular books claim that songs such as "Wade in the Water" contained explicit instructions to fugitive slaves on how to avoid capture and the route to take to successfully make their way to freedom.[2] This particular song allegedly recommends leaving dry land and taking to the water as a strategy to throw pursuing bloodhounds off one's trail.

"Wade in the Water" was a popular instrumental hit in 1966 for the Ramsey Lewis Trio, which prompted further instrumental recordings by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, and Billy Preston (both 1967). The melody was used for the 1988 Tony Toni Tone hit "Little Walter". The version by The Golden Gate Quartet also appears on the album Nick Cave - Roots & Collaborations (2009), establishing the song as one of the musical sources that have inspired the Australian artist.

"Wade in the Water, Children" is a 2008 American Documentary directed and produced by Elizabeth Wood and Gabriel Nussbaum. It was filmed by a group of 8th grade student at the first school to reopen in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The film offers a shockingly intimate look into life as a child in the ruined city. The film was praised as "Scalding Stuff" by Newsday, and won the audience award at the New Orleans International Human Rights Film Festival.

Would I have made any conclusion listening to the bas or how many DB's on the Super Tweeter? No I wouldn't! Would I have felt the same listening to a simpler HiFi for example the clever SONOS streamer ... probably not ... that's easy to understand surely?

Kommentarer

  1. Hi Martin,
    Just learned a new "Leet" that fits perfectly for this story, LMAO!!

    Keep on listening to music, later

    SvaraRadera

Skicka en kommentar

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

My first impression of LINN's NEW Akubarik's

Firstly I am all in favour of compact systems so for me it's a great advantage that they are fully active. Technical information you can get from the designer on the following video link http://vimeo.com/search?q=akubarik I can pick a few points about the design. I don't like blue lights ... I'd hoped it would be smaller to fit more of my customers that have smaller rooms and apartments with neighbours. But actualythey look great, very tidy indeed. A good start and very interesting but how do they perform? The obvious reference systems are Akurate 242 Aktiv with LINN Akurate amps or Klimax 350A's reference speakers. Straight off the Akurate 242's can't compete on the bottom end. The Akubariks deliver controlled base no matter the volume. Whether the 3k array performs better than on aktive 242, I don't know but it's probably quite similar. It is very good. It's all very good and well balanced. At no point did I experience any issues with frequ

It's that time again ... Vinyl fabriken färdigt, Linn shop påbörjat ... nu kör vi :)

https://www.instagram.com/spinroadvinylfactory/

Visit the LINN factory with us

Det var länge sen vi besökt LINN fabriken och Jag tycker att det är snart dags! Om ni vill följa med (troligtvis sent April, tidigt i Maj) skulle det bli fint  :)   Anmäl till martin@peoplesandschmidt.com eller ett FB meddelande funkar också. Vill kolla intresse först men redan har en bokade. Vi tar en besök till en Whisky destilleri tycker jag och tar in lita av den berömde Skotska naturen.